1. Topin believes in protecting the personal information it collects from individuals that access or use
time a user accesses the Topin website, the user agrees to be bound by the policy posted on the Topin
website at the time.
4. Topin will take all reasonable steps to use or disclose users' personal information only in the manner
allowed by this policy.
5. In clauses 14, 15 and 22 Topin includes companies in Topin .
6. Personal information refers to all private information about an identifiable individual, such as a user's
name, contact details, identity number, income levels, age, personal views and preferences.
collection of personal information
7. The Topin website actively collects personal information from users by asking users specific questions
and by permitting users to communicate directly with Topin , for example via e-mail, feedback forms,
forums and/or chat rooms.
8. Some areas of this site may also require the user to submit information in order for the user to register for
certain services or benefit from specified features (for example newsletter subscriptions) or to participate in a
particular activity (such as competitions or other promotions, an example being the "Log In" function)
(collectively referred to as the "value added services").
9. In these situations, Topin will ask the user for particular information, and inform the user at each
information point what information is required and what information is optional.
Passive collection of
10. Topin passively collects (i.e. without the user actively providing the information) personal
information about a user as the user accesses and navigates through the Topin website using various
technologies and means, such as navigational data collection and cookies.
11. A cookie is an alphanumeric identifier which Topin ís computer system transfers to a user's hard drive
through the user's web browser when the user visits the Topin website. It enables Topin 's system
to recognise the user when the user visits the Topin website again and to improve our service to the
12. This enables Topin to diagnose problems with its server, report and aggregate information, determine
the fastest route for a user's computer to use in connecting with the Topin website, and better
administer and improve the site. It also enables Topin to compile aggregate information about users'
access to and use of the Topin website. This information can be used to enhance the content of the Topin
website and make it more user-friendly.
Consent to collection, use and storage of user's personal information
14. The user agrees that Topin may collect, use and store the user's personal information
14.1 to establish and verify a user's identity;
14.2 to maintain and update Topin 's customer, or potential customer, databases;
14.3 to greet the user when he/she accesses the website;
14.4 to provide the user with value added services;
14.5 to communicate with the user;
14.6 to customise the Topin website to users' preferences;
14.7 to inform the user of facts relating to his/her access to and use of the Topin website;
14.8 to improve the content of the Topin website or any of the services provided by alphapower.co.za;
14.9 to inform the user about Topin services, including information of particular relevance to that user;
14.10 to inform the user about competitions, promotions and special offers from Topin and/or its
14.11 for marketing, product research and development purposes of Topin ;
14.12 to provide the user with targeted advertising when he/she accesses the product; and
14.13 to compile, use, disclose and trade with, non-personal statistical information about browsing habits,
click-patterns, user preferences and access to the Topin website. Disclosure of user's personal
15. Topin will not disclose, for commercial gain or otherwise, users' personal information other than as
set out in this policy.
16. The user agrees that Topin may disclose the user's personal information
16.1 to Topin 's affiliates;
16.2 to third parties contracted or employed by Topin to provide services for or to Topin ,
including for example, website hosting and development, technical support, financial services such as processing
of credit card or other payments, delivery services, and other support services. These companies require access
to users' personal information to perform their functions and not for any other purposes and Topin will
take all reasonable steps to enter into confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements with the relevant service
16.3 to any third party who acquires all, or substantially all, of the assets or shares in Topin , any of
Topin 's affiliates, and/or the Topin website, whether by sale, merger, acquisition or otherwise;
16.4 to governmental agencies, exchanges and other regulatory or self-regulatory bodies if Topin is
required to do so by law or if Topin believes that such action is necessary to -
16.4.1 comply with the law or with any legal process;
16.4.2 protect and defend the rights, property or safety of Topin , its affiliates or their customers;
16.4.3 prevent or deal with fraud or the abuse, misuse or unauthorised use of the Topin website; and/or
16.4.4 protect the rights, property or safety of members of the public (if a user provides false or deceptive
information about him/herself or misrepresents him/herself as being someone else, Topin will proactively
disclose such information to the appropriate regulatory bodies and commercial entities).
17. The user agrees that Topin may not disclose the subscriber's name, postal address, physical address, age
and income levels to third parties who wish to send the subscriber commercial mail.
18. The user agrees that Topin may use the user's personal information to compile profiles for
statistical purposes and may freely trade with such profiles and statistical data, provided that the profiles or
statistical data cannot be linked to the user by a third party.
Accuracy of personal information
19. In order to ensure that a user's personal information is accurate, current, and complete, the user may
contact the administrator
20. Topin will take reasonable steps to correct or update such information.
21. Topin reserves the right to charge the user a fee to cover Topin 's expenses in this regard.
22. Should a user not wish to receive electronic communications from Topin , the user may unsubscribe from
such communications by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link in the communication section.
23. Topin takes reasonable steps to put in place and maintain electronic procedures and systems with
reference to accepted technological standards -
23.1 to ensure the accuracy of;
23.2 to prevent unauthorised access to or disclosure of;
23.3 to protect from misuse, loss, alteration or destruction
users' personal information.
24. However, the user acknowledges that that Internet communications and transactions are not 100% secure or
error free. In particular, information may not be secure in transit from the user to the Topin website.
25. Moreover, where the user provides particularly sensitive personal information such as passwords, ID numbers,
or other special access features on this site, it is the user's responsibility to safeguard them.
Linking to third party websites
26. Topin is not responsible for the privacy practices of third party websites to which there may be
links on the Topin website.
28. The Topin website is not targeted at children under the age of sixteen and Topin will not
knowingly collect information from users in this age group.
29. We encourage parents to talk to their children about the use of the Internet and information they disclose to
Queries and complaints
contact the administrator.